Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Good Friday in Disguise

I was tucking my son into bed last night and asked him if he knew what this Friday was…I expected he might say no, but he didn't... instead he matter-a-fact said, “Earth Day”! Now me, being focused on this Friday being all about "Good Friday", had not picked up on it also being "Earth Day". I was looking for an opportunity to discuss what Good Friday is with my son, so his answer caught me off guard. I said, "Oh, well do you know what else it is?". From there, I managed to overshadow Earth Day with a conversation about Good Friday and why we call such a dark day in history "good".

This morning, as I saw postings at the school about Earth Day, confirming what my son informed me of the night before, I couldn't help but ponder how sad it is that Earth Day is now overshadowing “Good Friday” for our children. Who decided Earth Day would be on Good Friday anyway? Coincidence? I realize that we can't discuss Religion in the schools anymore... well, it's not really "Religion" we can't discuss but seems more specifically "Christianity" that is hushed hushed, yet I still can't help but wonder how Earth Day landed on Good Friday. But then I guess they are similar in some ways--the earth did shake on that Friday many years ago …

2 comments:

  1. love your thoughts on this matter, but you know I feel the same as you on this matter. It's sad for people like you and me, but remember it is all suppose to happen this way according to our bible. Still it is sad to watch it happen. love, your mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts also, They are the same as mine. I'm glad to see that you are teaching your children about Jesus.Yes its sad to see the world decay away, not only the world, its people too.
    4 For the god of this world has blinded the unbelievers' minds [that they should not discern the truth], preventing them from seeing the illuminating light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ (the Messiah), Who is the Image and Likeness of God.
    2 Corinthians 4:4 (AMP)

    ReplyDelete