Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Wise Shepards

I was reflecting on a devotion I read today and had this urge to dig a little deeper about the shepards in the story of Jesus's birth. I'm not sure if this is universal, or just my way of thinking about it, but I found that when I think about the story of Jesus's birth and the manger scene, I find Joseph, Mary, Jesus and three wise men. But what about the shepards? The shepards were actually the first to visit Baby Jesus! Risking the well being of their flocks, they left as the angels instructed them too and went to see the baby Jesus. My thoughts left from this angle to perhaps a more insightful moment that I'd like to share for you to ponder. That being that I find it interesting that God directed the paths of shepards, considered lowly in the eyes of others and then directed three wise men, considered "wise" (obviously) and of high position. Is it possible that within this God was demonstrating something to us that isn't always so visible to us? I can't help but think that God used the two extremes, Shepards and Wise Men, to demonstrate how he uses and loves people of all standing in life to work out His will. Not only does he use and love the meek and mild, but the wise and wealthy. And, not only does He use and love them all, but He also demonstrates, through this event, that it is when we blend together for a common good, no matter what our standing in life, that that is when we can be most effective for the purposes of God. It takes us all to make a whole. As it says in 1 CORINTHIANS ------- it takes all members to make things work .....

No comments:

Post a Comment